Tuesday 1 February 2011

Trees


The last few days have been filled with trees.


Firstly the big national issue of "selling off our forests" Madness. I participated in the campaign against this being organized by "38 Degrees" - "Save Our Forests". Just follow the link & send an e-mail to your MP: http://38degress.org.uk/


The temperature outside has increased a bit, the ground thawed in most places, so I've been able to plant a few saplings. In a range of temporary pots I have a mix of saplings that I've grown from nuts or cuttings all patiently waiting to get established in a permanent home. I have put a fair number in the sparse hedgerow around the vegetable garden at the church. That part of the hedge is very odd - consisting of huge coppiced hazels -perhaps it is the remnant of a coppice wood? Not far from them are thickets of nutling that I'm guessing reveal the buried horded left by squirrels & jays. In amongst my saplings I was very excited to find a blackthorn, I have no recollection of planting that at all! I've put it where others are growing as they seem very healthy trees - no mean feat in a part of the garden that is known to flood. I'm very undecided as to where to plant the silver birch I acquired free, worried about planting out the horse chestnut as they seem to be prey to nasty diseases at the moment, and have several willows to find space for though far enough away from the buildings to not cause for problems. The ash saplings I know where to plant but worry about their safety - so many decisions - though I strongly believe "listen & the answer will come".


The lane leading from the main road to the church is special place - lined on either side by old trees. Each side is different, one a traditional mix of local trees the other, mainly coppiced hazel. Later on this month CPRE is coming to survey it, I am eagerly awaiting the findings. I'm guessing that one side is possibly 400 years old & the other perhaps 200 years old. More on this topic later. (CPRE - Campaign to Protect Rural England).


Opposite the church is footpath that until today I have had no real cause (or time) to investigate. Due to a minor car accident & no mobile phone (two at home!) I walked the footpath up to the farm it leads to in search of a phone: thanks to the lady who let me use her to call the tow truck). This footpath passed through a newly planted wood (approx 10 years of ash & oak) & came out by an off shoot of the Frome & here were some magnificent pollarded willows. The trees must have been at least 4 arm widths in circumference and stood with their feet in water. I wonder how many more there must have been up & down the Frome - ow there just seem to be youngish Alders - where have all the willow gone? We I'm going to make it a mission to plant more willows - one of my all time favourite trees - all types. According to my newly acquired "The Biodynamic Sowing & Planting Calendar 2011" there are a number of "best days"for taking willow cuttings this month - though they should not be planted til March. I'm going to be busy. For a while now I've envisaged a living willow bower - maybe this is the year I'll start it.


I have just acquired an anthology of tree poems from the library "Trees Be Company" - part of the Common Ground library of publications. One has taken my immediate fancy


I think that I shall never see

A poem as lovely as a tree,

Poems are made by fools like me

But only God can make a tree


Alfred (Joyce) Kilmer


And finally, I keep dropping hints to Mr PoppyM that I'd like a tree for my up & coming "significant birthday" - I wonder if I'll get one??

picture - Vincent Van Gogh - Pollarded Willows & Setting Sun 1888

.